Saturday, March 10, 2012

Okay so I am going to try to blog again....

So I know I haven't been the best with blogging but I am making a new goal to blog consistently! yay! I didn't write much in the past cause I feel like I just don't have that much interesting stuff to say but I am an interesting person with an interesting life so I should be able to find things to write. So here it goes again.

So the big thing on my mind and the crazy thing that has happened in mine and Rob's life is Rob's GMAT score...

Rob had been planning to go to either UCDavis or University of Washington for his MBA after he worked for three years at his job. UCDavis and  UW are ranked in the 30's in the US rankings of MBA programs. Last weekend Rob took the GMAT. We had planned on him taking it twice since many people have said that it is needed to take it twice to get a good score. We decided before hand that if he got a 700 out of 800 then he wouldn't take the test again.

Rob got to the testing facility and talked to the people taking the GMAT and one had taken the GMAT 5 times and anther person mentioned how he had taken 16 practice tests and Rob was convinced he would have to take it again. The test is taken on a computer and when he saw his score on the computer screen he almost barfed. 730!!! The average GMAT score for the top MBA programs in the nation such as Harvard and Stanford are 712. So now we have to make a decision...

With this good of a score Rob wouldn't need to have an extra year of work experience which means we could leave Utah a year earlier. Then we have to decide which schools to apply to!  The final 7 that we want are Harvard (ranked #1 in Management), University of Pennsylvania (#4 in Management), Stanford (Ranked #2 in Management), University of Virginia (#8 in Management), Colombia (#10 in Management), Dartmouth (#6 in Management), Berkley (#7 in Management). It is pretty slim that we will get into Stanford due to their acceptance rate of 7% and it is often based on who you know. Harvard is our top choice which is INSANE!!

Going to any of these colleges is just crazy to think about! I have been to the east coast once to visit New York for a few days and Rob has never been so we have no idea what to expect. University of Penn is high on our list because I have a brother in law that is getting his PHD at Penn State and we would love to be close them!  The good thing about the East Coast is that everything is just so close together!  My parents are pushing for Berkley since it would only be two hours away from them and a short flight up to Seattle to visit Rob's family. I would love to be close to everyone but I worry that going to Berkley would be playing it safe and just staying where we are comfortable. This is the time in our lives to go and experience new things and grow from the new places and the new people. We have been giving this opportunity to go and do things that we had never dreamed of so I want to try and do it. Berkley is still a fantastic school to go to and it would be fabulous to live in Berkley I just don't want to pick it because I feel comfortable there. Rob will not be applying for another year so we have a while to decide but we are only going to apply to 5 or 6 programs since applications are quite expensive. We have pro and cons lists going for the top programs in the nation so if any of you have any input let us know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment